Sunday, May 24, 2015

Adventures In Unreadable Labels: More English, MORE FUEGO!


 I think this is going to be a short one today.

As the mystery supply box gives up it's latest treats we seem to be entering into a vein of things that are not just in English, but seem like they are going to be pretty pleasant to eat.
There is a final gate keeper to pass though, and he is well aware that I'm not a fan of spice:

Of HANOVER... not HANGOVER

Description:

Looking at the picture it looks like I'm going to be opening up the foil pouch and find large pretzel chunks LACQUERED in a Buffalo wing + cayenne pepper sauce glaze.

Now, I've had pretzels before, but not in this format. Still pretzel is pretzel and I see no problem there.

Hot sauce on the other hand is a tricky thing.
I've said before I'm not really a fan of overly spicy things, but a little heat can be novel.
The question is always how much heat is a sauce going to bring, and does it intend to set up a little campsite in my mouth spit roast taste buds over a roaring fire.

Time to find out.

First Contact:

always pays to open flammable things on a metal surface
Woah! these things are bright!
They are sort of the color of butter chicken, and I'm hoping that that suggests the mildness you often get with that dish.
on the other hand they have that dry powdery texture of a spicy crumb or meat rub, and that, in my limited experience, often brings the dry heat of the Nevada desert.

I put my nose in the bag and took a wiff and my eyes watered,
While it was, (oddly) sort of a salt and vinegar chip scent, there was clearly a wack of pepper in there.
I had a stuffy nose... now I do not.
I also noticed some looked like they had been grilled, and I wondered if that was selling the idea fiery cooking or just a process to make pretzels?

I'm still optimistic that this one is going to be good... so lets find out!

turning some over reveals a scorch... top marks for theme!

Taste Time:

Fest few munches: Mmmm saucey! They have a tart and sour flavor and remind me of the crispy skin of bbq chicken. While there is an initial tingle, there isn't a lot of heat at all!

Next few munches: Okay, the heat builds up a little over time, but it's still pretty mild, even for my delicate sensibilities. It's a little more impactful than the slightly detrimental effect of eating a full bag of salt and vinegar chips, but not overly.
For science (of course) I'm going to eat a few clusters together to see if it gets more painful.

A good fist full of munches: A good background heat has settled in but I feel it's leveled out... onward!

At the end of the bag: I need a glass of water as my mouth is pretty hot and dry, but I declare this a victory for the "I didn't get burned to a crisp" side of the war on snacks!

Summary:

A really tasty snack that was no threat to my being what so ever... More satisfying than a bag of chips as well with a good solid crunch in every bite.
More please!

No comments: